Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Kangaroo Care

Today was a great day with Miss Avery. Not only did I get to feed her and put gel on her back, but I was also able to do something called kangaroo care. Kangaroo care is when they take the baby and allow you to hold her skin on skin. They actually took Miss Avery and tucked her inside my shirt. It was so great to feel her next to me and feel her little hands and feet move. She was actually quite relaxed through the whole thing, which was surprising, because she is quite a wiggle worm. So much of a wiggle worm before the nurse let us hold her we were actually watching her just about flip herself over in her incubator. I was honestly expecting her to squirm while I had her. I guess calming the baby is suppose to be one of the benefits of kangaroo care. In addition it is also suppose to help mothers with milk production.

Pat didn't get to hold Avery last night. Typically when they allow us to hold her she is wrapped up and so it makes for easy transition from one parent to the other, however with kangaroo care she is not wrapped up so there is no easy transition. On the plus side though dads can do kangaroo care, so he will get his turn to hog her for an evening soon enough.

Other than that she is still doing well. When they weighed her it sounded like she actually gained some, so she is on her way up! They did tell us it would be normal if she lost more, however lets enjoy the gaining when it happens.

They also increased her food intake to 5cc's which is 1 teaspoon. Avery drinks 8 teaspoons of milk per day. Can you imagine?

I made a little video of her while I was there on my morning visit. She isn't doing anything special, just mild squirming. I just thought it would be nice to have something at home reminiscent of a visit.


4 comments:

  1. I'm a friend of Jennie D's, and, I just wanted to let you know that we are sending prayers to you and your beautiful new addition!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bracken and Logan loved the video. It makes her seem more real to them. Bracken thinks she is waving in the video and says, "she's a good waver!" Logan dropped the Avery and calls her Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love getting to read about Avery and see pictures of her. The picture of you and Avery during kangaroo care was wonderful, she is so beautiful. You are so thoughtful to post everyday and to allow us into your live this way. You and Pat are special people and are going to be wonderful parents. We love ya'll and ya'll are in our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete